Who doesn’t love a chocolaty brownie?!? I haven’t met anyone who could turn one down, they are dense, rich, and ohhh soooo good. But there is a HUGE debate about what makes the perfect brownie. Fudgy or cakey. Middle piece or chewy edges? It’s similar to the pe-CAN or pe-CON debacle here is the south. I am going to settle this now. The BEST brownie is one that is fudgy and has at least one chewy edge. There, I said it. Now if you agree with me you need to make this brownie recipe ASAP, and if you do not agree with me then you need to make this recipe ASAP so you can realize I am right ;) Just kidding, it’s cool if you like cakey brownies, but I still suggest you try out this recipe. These brownies are chocolaty, fudgy, chewy, and all around perfect. They make great bake sale items, dinner party desserts, or a sweet treat to bring your friend who just had a baby. So next time you crave something sweet, whip up these babies. You, and whoever you live with, will thank me.
A few tips:
-Make sure not to over bake your brownies. I know, it is sooooo hard not to. I always think they are not done, but once the time is up pull them. While they cool they will continue to cook.
-After the brownies are cool, pop them in the refrigerator. This will help you cut them into perfect squares, or whatever shapes you prefer. Sometimes I use fun cookie cutters to create different shapes. We have all destroyed our pan of brownies because we cut them while they are still warm. Have patience my friend. If you chill them they will be 100 times yummier.
-My mom would say this recipe needs pecans. You can add any nuts you would like. I am a purist and prefer a simple brownie, but you do you.
-You can dress these up by adding caramel, sea salt, m&m’s, or anything else you like. Get creative!
-This recipe makes a ton of brownies so be prepared to share. I usually send the extras with my husband to the fire hall.
1 pound butter
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
6 large eggs
2 tablespoons instant coffee grounds
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
2. Butter and flour a 12x18x1 sheet pan. This is a very important step. Cooking spray will NOT work. Trust me
3. Melt your butter in the microwave for 60-90 seconds
4. Once melted, pour in your semi sweet chocolate chips and stir until melted. Set aside
5. In a bowl, mix together the eggs, instant coffee grounds, vanilla, and sugar
6. Once the egg mixture is combined, mix it with the butter/chocolate mixture. Make sure these ingredients are well combined
7. In a separate bowl, mix your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. I usually sift these ingredients but it is not necessary
8. Using a spatula, mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. DO NOT over mix these. Only stir to combine
9. Pour the batter into your baking pan and gently spread evenly
10. Bake for 20 minutes
11. After 20 minutes, take the pan out of the oven and tap it on your counter. This will help the brownies become dense and delicious
12. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes. DO NOT OVER BAKE!!! 35 minutes is the max they need to be in the oven
13. Let cool (or heck eat them warm) and then put the brownies into the refrigerator to cool. After the brownies have fully cooled, cut them into your desired size and shape!